Trio Tijuanero

Oil on canvas board 11x14 in.
This is another painting for the virtualpaintout on Bill Guffey's site (
(www.virtualpaintout.com).  This month's chosen Google Map adventure is searching the streets of Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico, for an image that inspires you.  These three determined musicians attempting to eke out a song and a living on the difficult streets of the city caught my eye.  To see the actual screen shot, go to:  https://goo.gl/maps/UcJQkuz7epD2
“Painting has to do with knocking yourself out day after day trying to get what you want to down on canvas. Maybe it works and maybe it doesn't, but every day you try. That's what painting is."  Zibby Oneal

3 comments:

  1. Lovely work :) Your light and choice of colors brings a warmth and hopeful feeling to an otherwise dreary day. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sheila. As I "drove" virtually through the streets looking for something that would inspire me to paint, I could not help but reflect on the drastic difference in the life only 20 minutes away in San Diego (where I lived 17 years). The wonderful exercise that virtualpaintout offers artists is to go beyond our usual repertoire and explore people, places, situations that we would never have thought to paint. As I painted this, I chose on Spotify music of Mexican boleros and listened to sounds I am not exposed to. As I tried to recreate the scene, I thought about life in Tijuana and these men who have chosen music as their way to earn their daily bread. There was no audience at the time the Google cameraman drove by, and the fact that they were singing between two parked cars just seemed so poignant.
      I appreciate your comment.

      Delete
  2. Очень веселая городская зарисовка!))

    ReplyDelete