Luz de La Palma

Oil on gessoed canvas  28x20 in.
This is my painting for the La Palma del Condado Plein Air Competition.  There is some glare and I will repost when I get it back and have a chance to take a better photo of the painting, but I am happy to say that it was chosen to be exhibited in the town hall there for the next two weeks.  What a day!  It was my first ever plein air competition and my first large canvas painting done plein air.  A wedding procession passed, a busload of British tourists visited, the mayor of the town and his associates spent 15 minutes conversing and watching my brushstrokes, a local TV station filmed, and various photographers snapped pics.  The feedback was wonderful and encouraging.  I believe I chose a unique perspective of the iconic church tower, seen from inside a shaded terrace.  It also was the porch of the local police who were very kind to allow me access and suggested the best place to set up because the sun would of course be constantly moving.  It was a hotter-than-usual day and after five and a half hours I was completely exhausted.  I should have made the sky on right side of church a little bluer to distinguish it from the arch wall, but all in all I am pleased.  There is something incredibly freeing about plein air.  Whatever happens you have to go with it.  You are completely exposed.  And no matter what ends up on canvas, you can at least be gratified that you showed up and did it.  The photos below reflect a bit of the beauty of the town, and the last are of the three winners, one, two, three.









    Comments

    1. Congratulations, beautiful work! Love the shapes of the trees against the hard edges of the architecture :)

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Oh, Sheila, thank you for your encouragement and your EYES. I love your profile pic. I feel like I'm talking to you.

        Delete
    2. Отличная работа! Laurelle! Поздравляю! Я работала в условиях пленэра, и знаю как это сложно. Очень быстро меняется освещение и тени. Ты справилась!

      ReplyDelete
      Replies
      1. Olga, как приятно услышать ваши слова поддержки! Spasibo!

        Delete

    Post a Comment

    Popular Posts